Jesuit Father’s Order House and the Holy Spirit Church, Piotra Skargi 10 Str.
The Jesuit college was partially occupied for military purposes from 15 March 1944 to 18 January 1945.
Three bells were requisitions from the Holy Spirit church in September 1941: “Maria” (600 kg), “Stanislaw” (250 kg) and “Andrzej” (150 kg).
In the home chapel of the college, the bishop of Lublin, Marian Fulman, interned in Nowy Sącz, would secretly ordain Jesuit clerics.
The Jesuit mill provided food to the poorest people of the city, Jewish people closed up in the ghetto and partisan troops.
Friar Józef Jamróz SJ, who worked at the mill, was arrested in a round-up, and imprisoned, first at Auschwitz and then at Sachsenhausen concentration camp. He survived until the liberation and after the war he left the order.
Fr. Piotr Skarga Sodality House, Ducha Świątego 12 Str.
From May 1940, Forstschutzkommando – paramilitary troops of the German forest guard – was stationed here.
“Świt” (Dawn) Parish House, Ducha Świętego 2 Str.
From September 1940, it served as a storage for the books from the liquidated Józef Szujski City Library.
White Monastery of Sisters of the Immaculate Conception
In the first days of September 1939, a medical convoy of the Polish Army stopped here. From March 1941, the displaced people, who were supposed to be sent to the Third Reich for work would be stationed here. From January 1944 to January 1945 a German field hospital was set up here, and from February to November 1945 the Red Army field hospital.
In the monastery, the Central Welfare Council opened one of their food dispensing points.
According to Jozef Bieniek’s testimonies, the sisters would hide Jewish people in their monastery, including the wife of the hospital director, Helena Stuchły.
Orphanage of the Felician Sisters, Długosza 52 Str.
The building housed a field hospital and one of the food dispensing points opened by the Central Welfare Council.
St. Casimir Church, Długosza 2 Str.
A twenty-five-kilogram bell “St. Casimir” was requisitioned from the St. Casimir church in August 1941.
From 20 October 1939 to 22 February 1940, the rector of the church, Fr. Dr. Jędrzej Cierniak was in prison.
St. Elisabeth’s “Railway” Church, Zygmuntowska Str.
From the “railway” church the bells “Józef” (819 kg), “Ignacy” (397 kg) and “Francis of Assisi” (223 kg) were requisitioned in September 1941.
In the church, services were held several times for the Roman Catholics in the German army: on 9 February 1940, the mass was celebrated by a military chaplian, on 29 April 1941 4 chaplains took soldiers’ confessions, and after that each of them celebrated mass, on 27 July 1941, the mass was held for the Hungarian army.
The parson Fr. Józef Bury SJ organized help for people in hiding, displaced and the Jewish people imprisoned in the ghetto.
Fr. Józef Bury SJ died on 20 September 1942 after contracting dysentery during the epidemic outbreak in the city.
St. Margaret Church
Between the end of February 1940 and 9 February 1945 the bishop of Lublin Marian Fulman, interned in Nowy Sącz, stayed .at the clergy house of the church From here he would secretly manage his diocese, and in a private chapel he would ordain the seminarians from Lublin. This fact is commemorated by a plaque in the hall of the clergy house.
From November 1939 to June 1941 the vicars of the parish: Fr. Franciszek Ciekliński, Fr. Władysław Deszcz and Fr. Tadeusz Kaczmarczyk run a rally point for underground border crossing operations and an underground mail box.
Fr. Franciszek Drwal, the vicar of the parish, mobilized as a reserve chaplain of the Polish Army in August 1939, was captured and imprisoned in the POW camp, and then transferred to the Buchenwald camp, where he died on 1 June 1942.
On 21 August 1941 Fr. Tadeusz Kaczmarczyk and Fr. Władysław Deszcz were shot in Biegonice. On 27 July 1944 cleric Andrzej Mróz was shot in Rdziostów.
Catholic Affordable Cuisine, Lwowska Str.
During the entire occupation, free meals were dispensed here to the residents of the city in the worst situation.
Catholic Orphan Institute, Kolegiacki Sqr.
Led by the sisters of the Congregation of Servant Sister of the Immaculate Virgin Mary (Servant Sisters of Dębica), it continued its work uninterruptedly throughout the occupation. After the Catholic Orphan Institute Society was dissolved (as were all Polish organizations), it was led by the occupying authorities of the city. On average, there were over 50 children staying there.